Today marks my first complete day of a cleanse. Think of it however you will. There are always things in our lives that we’re trying to change, right? For some, it’s dependency on recreational drugs, for others it’s eating too much cake (ewww. You’d never catch me with this one), and yet for others it might be being a neat freak. And sometimes when we need to stop that habit, we experience withdrawal symptoms, right? But encouragement/support are the best for guiding us along and one way is to count! To make it feel like you’ve accomplished something. So for me, I am trying to give up something very important now and today is Day 1! First 27 hours clean! Let’s keep the counting!
World News brought to you from Stroke Cubicle – 11/8/2012
* Gambling in Maryland – I might not have agreed with this … and possibly voted No against Question 7 … but that’s beside the point… there are now high hopes on the Potomac (Prince George’s County) which for years has had struggles… cannot believe that this came at the expense of a $90 million campaign. We’ll see what the future holds.
* Colorado/Washington initiatives legalizing marijuana usage (small quantities) for recreational use (not just medicinal) … questions still loom. The Justice Dept is reviewing the initiatives but has not commented on how it’ll respond.
* “Pornographers threaten to flee L.A. after condom law passes” – wow, page 2?
* Remember the meningitis outbreak mentioned earlier this week? Pharmacy board chief in Mass. is dismissed….
* California man behind an anti-Muslim video (YouTube) has been sentenced to a year for lying about his identity…. Enraged Muslims have demanded severe punishment for him, including a $100,000 offer for someone who kills him.
* Earthquake (7.4 magnitude) in Guatemala kills at least 48 people (as of this morning) – near Mexican border … oh no!
* Keeping an eye on China’s power transition
* A plunge in stocks after Obama’s victory
Ello! Happy Election Day! No new news in my life. Well, I will have to vacate my room in 30 days (hopefully we can extend that deadline), so now no more living half college-like environment/half grown-up world. It’s a full transition to grown-up world! EEP! Apartment hunting once again!
P.S. I got a Birchbox!
World News brought to you by Jarkie from a Stroke Center cubicle 😀
- “Young workers’ current struggles could leave them in a hole for decades” –
- China’s leader, Hu Jintao, has overseen China for a decade and as he gets ready to step down, he is trying hard to bring his allies into high up positions. Oh Mr. Hu… apparently former chairman Jiang is gaining momentum with his allies. But let’s see what happens 🙂
- Meningitis outbreak – pain-killing injections – compoundin gpharmacy in Massachusetts! Oh.Oh.
- Tourism in Iran – foreign purchasing power at a high – hmm interesting theme going on the past two days
- 363 reported killed (as of this morning) due to flood in Nigeria (the worst in at least 50 years!!)
- Libya – key funder of Syrian opposition
- “Apple’s new tablets are off to a fast start”
- DC Metro Area – Body art is making a come-back! And one that sort of affects where I work but not me directly at all – Georgetown receives $20 million to fund study of the environment. Whoot!
❤ have a lovely day! let’s see what happens tonight! We will know!
I decided to stop moping about in my panda cave… or rather, I decided to bring light in!
#1 – My room has been furnished with a TV, basic cable, so as to not get crazy with the shows. I can still catch good ole “World News Tonight.” Of course, if the New Normal or New Girl or Modern Family comes on, I won’t shy away.
#2 – Livingsocial deal for Washington post. It’s a perfect time. Nowadays as the possibility of snow is around the corner, I have decided to cut down on driving (also to reduce the fines I get!! SILLY SPEED and STOPLIGHT CAMERAS!!! What happened to the old fashioned POLICE?), I will be riding the metro and the bus. So time to catch up on current events. In addition, I have learned that the adult, work life is full of ups and downs, fast and slows… so I’ll have my washington post and study flash cards to keep me company during the slows.
P.S. I share Markie’s sentiments. IT IS FRIGID. At my physical therapy appointment today, she left a cold pack on me for far too long. And then I had to step out into the cold. Oh baj! Not to mention I almost lost my balance while walking backwards on their treadmill 😦
Current Events, Jarkie’s abridged version (skipping the campaign news…) – 11/5
**Russia hopes string of ski resorts, an $18 billion plan, and beach developments ($4.6 billion) will bring jobs and peace to North Caucasus, where death/violence is quite the norm w/ the area’s Islamic fundamentalism and separatist aspirations
** 2-year old boy fell off a railing that his mother had placed him on to see a pack of African painted dogs at the Pittsburg zoo 😦
** Bo Xilai, former boss of Chongqing, was formally expelled from the Communist Party in China on Sunday –
** Syrian exiles resist US proposal for new leadership council for fighters/activists in Syria on 1st day of Syrian opposition conference.
** DC Metro – “Issues of race and gender create turbulence during ‘Flight’” – interesting, just saw this yesterday afternoon w/ a high school friend.
Happy Election eve!