I’ve been feeling pretty stressed for a host of reasons lately. So I decided to get a massage from a recently-opened spa near my apartment (see photo to right). When I came home, I felt like something was missing. I love love love facials. I did a quick google search (originally I wanted to figure out the health benefits and spas and massages and facials) and got sucked into a WebMD (haha!) vortex. Some interesting articles to note:
- Spas: The Risks and Benefits – :O Oh wow… their discussion of water-related spa treatments has made me scared to go into the pools at Spa World. What do I do?!
- Are Expensive Facials Better?
- 15 Healthy Indulgences Under $15.00 – Sleeping, picking fruit (I’ll be sure to blog about this when I do so), Chair Massages, Sipping tea, scenting a room with lavender and MORE!
Last but not least…
- 9 Home Spa Makeovers for Body and Soul – we all need a pampering every now and then! I love homemade stuff! So I’m going to document my experience (soon to come!) for you all! 🙂
Speaking of facials, my host mom in Udaipur (India) used to help me make facial and henna (for my hair) appointments at least once a week (if only it were cheap here). A very nice woman would come to the house and give me the facial. Usually I opted for the papaya facial because OH THE WONDERS OF PAPAYA! She used real chunks of papaya and yogurt (and I’m not sure what else she used). It really makes your face SHINE, GLOW! Radiance at its finest! When I’m lazy, I’ll use one of these easy-to-use facial sheet masks. But when I’m not feeling lazy, I’ll give myself a mini facial about once a week, which is what I did last night.
Todaycommai Jarkie’s Mini-Facial (non-DIY version)
**DIY makeover/spa series will come soon 🙂
My mini-spa borrows mostly from the facial I received while in Udaipur… but I’ve added a little thing here and there. The photos I’m showing are just examples of items. I still haven’t found the products that I love the most yet. Prices listed are for full-size products.
- Remove make-up! A while back ago, TATCHA was offering free samples on their website (all you had to pay was the shipping fee). I have fallen in love with their Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil($48.00). I massage ~2 droplets of the oil over my eyes. You can clean off with a tissue or splash your face with some water and the make-up is REMOVED! Wheeee. And the oil makes my face feel so soft and fresh!
- Cleanse your face! Use a make-up removal towelette or a and a gentle foaming/gel cleanser (we’ll be doing some scrubbing later!).
- Scrub before you mask! Pick a scrub. This one needs some playing with as different skin types will need different sorts of scrubs. I needed to use up my Mario Badescu samples… so I used the Strawberry Face Scrub ($15.00). I’ve recreated the scrubbing pattern that I received in Udaipur:
Please excuse my terrible arrows.
forehead area: use you thumbs to scrub in an up-down (think zigzag) motion.
eye area: Make little circles around your eyes with your index and middle fingers.
nose area: make up and down vertical motions with the tips of your fingers.
cheeks area: use the tips of your fingers to create circular motions.
So I go from forehead –> eyes –> nose –> cheeks –> above lips and chin and [repeat]. I do this for however long I should be scrubbing (read the instructions on your products). When you start to feel the scrub get a little dry, add some droplets of water to the tips of your fingers. Happy Scrubbing!
- Facial Mask – Now for the relaxing part. My most favorite mask that I’ve found through NewBeauty Test Tube is the June Jacobs Papaya Purifying Enzyme Masque ($62.00). I’m sorry I forgot to take pictures! But it has a lotion consistency that you smooth onto your face. The light papaya scent feels so heavenly! I LOVE IT! But last night… I opted to use up my Mario Badescu Cucumber Tonic Mask ($18.00) sample. Nice light cucumber-esque scent, left my skin feel soft. When you apply it on, it feels like pancake batter. After waiting 10-15 minutes, it completely dries up and you can wash off with warm water.
- Toner – my current favorite toner is pictured above: Origins A Perfect World Age-defense Treatment Lotion with White Tea ($22.00).
- Serum (optional) – I was too lazy to do this last night… but when I do use it, I make sure to wait 1-2 minutes before applying moisturizer! 🙂
- Moisturizer – my current night cream has been Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant moisturizer with White Tea ($39.50). Creamy & quick-to-absorb! I love the light hint of white tea!
And finally with a cup of tea, I was able to fall asleep 🙂 Wheeeeee. Okay.. have a lovely day!